Today we woke up at 6:00 a.m., put on our bathing suits, and jumped into the especially cold water. After an intense game of Waboba, Starboard Watch won that put them in the lead by 2 points. We rinsed off, changed into our clothes, and got ready for the day. Starboard Watch then collected data from a series of water samples for the Buzzards Bay Coalition. Extremely delicious pancakes were for breakfast and we devoured them! Port Watch cleaned the galley while Starboard Watch performed general duties.

With life jackets on, we boarded Mr. Garfield’s boat and headed to Gull Island. He is one of the founding members of the Buzzards Bay Coalition and runs his own oyster farm. We observed seagullls, cormorants, and harbor and gray seals on this excursion. Afterwards, he took us to Penikese Island, the former location of a leper colony and juvenile delinquent school for boys. There were an unbelievable number of seagulls on the island.

We headed back to the Tabor Boy and set sail on another voyage. There was light wind that prolonged the time that we got to steer the boat. We learned to tie knots for a later competition. Port Watch and Starboard Watch created burgees that reflected this journey. Then, we went down below and ate leftovers for lunch. We did a biomagnification lab, observed the effects of toxins as DDT and Mercury, and how these elements compounded in organisms.

There was an intense rap battle between Reid and Arthur on our return. We prepared to pick up the mooring in Sippican Harbor, secured the deck, and went swimming. The water was extremely warm compared to Cuttyhunk’s icy waters. As we swam, we had a pull up and chin up contests. Later in the day, Starboard Watch played the plate game in which they set an average time of 3 minutes and 40 seconds. Port Watch got an average time of 3 minutes and 37 seconds, securing them another point.

After working up an appetite, we ate tasty steak and mashed potatoes for dinner. Port Watch cleaned the galley while Starboard Watch did general clean up. We performed the Formal Colors ceremony. And then it was time for the long awaited “knot-off” competition. Each Watch had one player go up and tie a knot assigned to them by Leland. Port Watch won tying them with Starboard Watch for the summer season. Unfortunately, the tie-breaker would have to wait until the next morning in a game of Waboba. One last time, Starboard Watch and Port Watch headed into their bunks before going to bed after a long week on our Tabor Boy!

Ross Stewart, Tyler Roussel, and Hannah Watt

P.S. This morning, in the final game of Waboba Port Watch won in the last few seconds, winning them the summer season in a miraculous comeback.

August 2, 2017